Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Day Four - A Song That Makes You Sad

First of all, I adore this song. When it comes on E Street Radio, I become the person "sharing" their music with everyone else on the road. Full blast all the way.

That being said, this song makes me incredibly sad. To think that we now live in a country where this song had to be written.

"Lena gets her son ready for school
She says "on these streets, Charles
You've got to understand the rules
If an officer stops you
Promise me you'll always be polite,
that you'll never ever run away
Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight

Is it a gun, is it a knife
Is it a wallet, this is your life
It ain't no secret
It ain't no secret
No secret my friend
You can get killed just for living in
Your American skin"

This isn't the America I grew up in. That is a statement made all too frequently in our house by my husband and I. I just wish I knew where that America went and how we can get it back.

Now turn up your speakers and rock out (even if the song does make you sad for what we have lost).


No comments: